Sunday, February 20, 2011

embracing the badonkadonk

Body Image.

Eww. Just the thought makes me upset. We have all hear it or even said it "I'm fat. I'm too skinny. I'd be happy if I were taller, shorter, had curly hair, straight hair, a smaller nose, bigger muscles, longer legs, blah, blah, blah" I am not immune to any of these thoughts. Growing up I was self concious of my body. I avoided dresses or shorts because I hated my thick thighs or my bubble butt. The media doesn't help and neither do immature guys who yell out stupidities about my ass. (haha, my favorite "i foooound you miss new booty"  with the rap tone and a few dance moves.)

To this day, I catch myself wishing for mile long legs, bigger boobs or a smaller tush. But its on days like yesterday, when I look at my body and think "Damn, my body is strong, I can't believe I just ran 20 mile". It took a while for me to be comfortable with my body and its still a daily stuggle. Now, that I'm older I realize that wishing for my body to be different was more work, its was depressing and really hard on my self esteem. I needed to change that. It was a choice, a conscience decision to embrace my body, good and bad. I have a tiny waist (yay, kinda coke bottle shape) small breast (hey, i don't have a problem jiggling while I run), I have a Michelle Obama arms (I think its hot) and a badonkadonk (haha, its a head turning trait)  So stop being so hard on yourself, embrace your curves or lack of (whatever the case may be) and take the time to acknowledge your body for what it is and what it does for you and stop critisizing it for what it's not.

Thanks body- for being petite and thus making guys taller than me. Thanks for doing daily things like breath and being a house to my organs. Thanks arms- for helping me carry stuff, and lift stuff, and do other arm-related stuff. Thanks legs- for helping me walk, run, jump, skip, kick and dance.  Thanks body :)

No comments:

Post a Comment