Saturday, March 19, 2011

Marathon: run your own race

One more day!!

Yesterday I went to the LA Maraton Expo at Dodger Stadium to pick up my bib number and check in. Being around the energy really pumped me up. Everyone was so excited. There were runners of all ages and background and it reminded me that it was going to be a challenge  but I have been working so hard and there's no way I wasn't going to be great. Hours away from the marathon, I'm both nervous and excited. I can't wait for it to get here, and at the same time, I can't wait for it to be over.

Running races can be tricky. I understand that this is an individual sport and its not a good thing to compare yourself against a season marathon runner. But, that's hard to do. The gun goes off and you take off. It's going great, you've developed  a pace but at some point you think "I have to keep up/ beat this person". As tempting as that is for a competive person like myself,  I want to step back and remind myself that this is about me. It's not a race and I shouldn't be upset if I can't keep up with seasoned runners. My all means, I'm going to go hard but at my pace. It's going to be AWESOME !!

No comments:

Post a Comment