Monday, December 10, 2012

7 minutes faster

Sunday morning I ran the Holiday Half Marathon in Pomona.  And set a personal record !

Half Marathon
Runner DetailsRace Results
Bib:4627
Name:Denesse Segura
Gender:F


Hometown:Lomita, CA
Overall:357 out of 4851
Women:59 out of 2357
F 25-29:10 out of 179
Age/Grade:62.35% Place: 355
Finish:1:45:36 Pace: 8:04
Tag Time:1:45:36


Split Times
5 Km:25:15 Pace: 8:08
7.9 Mi:1:03:23 Pace: 8:02


Ernie and I had talked about running a half together before he went off on vacation at the end of December. The week before he suggested an 8min/mile pace and that really scared me. That was too fast. On race day I told him that I would stick to a 8:20 min/mile pace. 

The morning started off chilly and at the start I questioned my outfit. I was freezing and worried I wouldn't warm up. 

I started off too fast and I felt it. The first two miles involved hills, not big ones but hills none the less.  At mile 3, I started to get comfortable and warmed up but I still felt like I should slow down or else risk hitting a wall later. 

At mile 4, Ernie told me to go ahead because his knee was hurting and he was going to slow down. I kept going and hit a flat stretch where I felt like I was flying. 

I told myself to do 7 miles at this pace (under 8). I felt good, like maybe I could run this fast. I started to think of the possibility of actually doing this in 1:45. This was a faster pace than I had planned and that I had ever raced before so I knew that even if I slowed down for the last 5 miles, I would still do good. 

I got to mile 7 and I felt ok, I was tired and my shin and thigh were achy but I told myself to get to 10 miles. I wanted to stay close to an 8 min/mile pace for the next 3 miles. 

After mile 10, I was done. I felt tired. My legs were heavy and my stomach felt nauseous. I still wanted to do the last three at the same goal pace and it was harder to keep myself going. At that point I took it a mile at a time. "just one more at this pace, then you can slow down. promise" 

Mile 11 had a crazy hill. I felt like I had slowed down a lot. But I kept passing people and that kept me motivated. I'm competitive so I was not going to let anyone I just passed pass me. Although a bunch of speedy kids from Students Run LA totally schooled me. 

When I saw the mile 12 marker, I speed up. I was hurting but what's another 8 minutes. I told myself "the faster you finish, the faster you can rest"

I finished at 1:45:40 9 (according to my garmin). That's the fastest I have ever ran a race!! I'm super excited. 

The whole time I was keeping track of my pace but I never looked at the time. At mile 11, I actually made a conscience decision not to look at it because I didn't want to know if I wasn't going to make it. When I was running towards the finish line I saw the display clock and I realized that I had done it!

1. 8:06       6. 7:58       11. 8:10
2. 8:07       7. 8:04       12. 8:14
3. 8:13       8. 8:04       13. 7:44
4. 7:46       9. 7:44       .01. 7:01
5. 7:51     10. 8:06

I was extremely proud of myself. I didn't think I could do it and I did. I maintained an 8:06 pace. Wooo!! I know that I have to work on keeping a more consistent pace. I totally felt that mile 3, 11 and 12 were slow and the time reflects it. I still have a lot of more work to do, but I'm excited about the improvements that I have made 

Last month (Malibu Half, 11/10/12) I ran a 1:52 half marathon. I improved by 7 minutes :)








No comments:

Post a Comment