Friday, February 18, 2011

Vegans!! are you getting enough protein????

How I became vegan: Four years ago I read Skinny Bitch: a no-nonsense, tough-love guide for savvy girls who want to stop eating crap and start looking fabulous! because I wanted to be a skinny bitch, well, just skinny. If you have read this book, you know that this diet suggests shirking all animal products, sugar and white flour. In return, you'll get a teeny, tight body that can make other women mumble about you under their breath. Haha. Yup. I wanted that!! The transition from a carnivour to a vegan was really easy for me. I cut out all animal products cold turkey and stocked up on fruits, veggies, soy and tofu. I though I was doing great things for my health, animal rights, the evironment and even lost a few pounds. The problem later came when I learned that I was missing out on a key amino acids and nutrients. Now, I'm not saying that a vegan diet isn't healthy or that you can't get all of the vitamins and nutrients you need from fruits, vegetables, soy, or nuts.  All I'm saying is that I wasn't getting them. Primarily, because I'm a busy, broke student who can't cook. THANK the nutrition gods I found Herbalife and started on a nutrition program. I was able to incorporate the program on my tight budget and busy schedule. I learned so much about what my body needed and when I started feeding my body right, I immediately noticed the difference.

Lets take protein for example-
Who knows why protein is important? Well, it builds lean muscle. Lean muscle burns fat. Where do you get protein? From meats, legumes, soy foods, nuts and seeds. How much do you need? about 1g of protein for every pound of lean muscle.

ok, sounds easy. I got on a scale and learned my weight was about 118lb. 98 lb of that was lean muscle. That means I needed about 98g of protein. Try getting that on a vegan diet. That's a lot of calories to consume. I'm sorry but theres only so much nuts I can snack on, and I'm not really a fan of Tofu or soy milk. So, that wasn't working for me. My nutrition program on the other hand allowed me to stay true to my vegan lifestyle while providing me with the correct amount of nutrients, amino acids, vitamins and PROTEIN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment