Monday, November 12, 2012

Malibu Half: cold weather apparel

My outfit completely changed overnight. I went to Malibu to pick up my bib on Saturday and realized it was windy and cold in Malibu and I should consider wearing more than a tank top and a running skirt. 

Plus it was going to be a long wait before the race started. I had to be in Malibu by 6:00am and then take a shuttle to the starting line. The race wasn't suppose to start until 7:30 so I figured I should wear something warm. 

I ended up wearing a cold weather headband (roadrunners, $13) and this long sleeve top (target $15)

I'm not sure if you can see but I also wore long leggings. I got these at target for $10 but I was afraid to wear them because they are a little form fitting and I felt insecure about running/ jiggling in them. I also wore compression socks and my acsics that are about to die ( 2 full marathons plus a year of training = retire the shoes)

I woke up at 4am and had toast with half PB and butter and some coffee. I didn't eat the banana and then I was hungry by 7.  I headed out at 4:30 and made it to Malibu by 5:40ish. 

Once I parked I got on a shuttle which drove us to the start line. We got there at 6:30. I used the porta-potties, stretched and tried to keep warm. I waited out by the cold, beautiful beach for an hour and a half! That's crazy and bad race organization. 

The race started late (almost 8!!) and it was freezing. When we started the race, my felt felt numb and my back was starting to hurt from all the shivering I was doing. It took me a good two miles to defrost and I started those 3 miles around 9min/mile. It was hard to move faster, plus I felt like my feet and shins were numb. My shins started to hurt and immediately I freaked out and told myself to take it easy, I didn't want to hurt myself. If you have ever had shin splints you know how painful that is and I didn't want to risk any damage.

After the third/ fourth mile I started to feel like my self and my pace started to even out. I ran the rest of the half at 8:30-8:40 and finished at 1:54. 

It wasn't my best race, but I am glad I eased up a little when my shins were hurting and that I waited until everything felt okay to push myself. Plus, there were tons of hills and I felt so strong going over them. (That made me really excited about my 5 am wake up call every saturday)  I ran 10 miles the day before and I knew this wasn't going to be a flat, fast race so I'm happy with my performance. 

The rest of Sunday was pretty relaxing. Anthony and I tried to cook lunch before heading out to the LA Galaxy Game.

I made squash spaghetti and was surprised by how yummy it was. We also had shark (!) and it was delicious.


I have a hard time getting rid of clothes/ shoes? Anyone have that problem?

Have you ever had shark?

Favorite thing to do on a Sunday?

No comments:

Post a Comment