Monday, January 21, 2013

How to make a Tinkerbell costume

The Tinkerbell Half Marathon was held Sunday, January 20th, 2013. I have heard great things about this race. It's fun, there are tons of Disney characters and entertainment, plus it is filled with women runners and costumes.

I decided pretty last minute that I wanted to wear a costume. I don't have a lot of money to purchase a costume and I don't really want to run in a store-bought costume so I decided to make a little something that would help me look a little like Tinkerbell.

First I already had this bright green t-shirt. I bought it at Target. I ordered a pair of wings from Ebay for $4.


Next, I decided to make a tutu. I always see people wearing them and I think they are super cute. I bought 9 yards of tulle from Walmart. You are suppose to use lots and lots of tulle for a really full tutu, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I used half the recommended amount.  I already had a strip of elastic to use as the waistband. I cut the strips of tulle 7 inches thick.


(picture from Rookie)

I gathered the strips in the middle and knotted them around the elastic band.  



Push the tulle together for a full and fluffy tutu. 


The finished product.


Tinkerbell wears shoes like these: 
I have green running shoes that I usually just wear to CrossFit or on short runs. I'm planning on wearing them. I couldn't find a huge pom pom. I found these at Walmart. 


The final product!


-------------------------------
Ever ran in a costume before?

Favorite home made costume?

No comments:

Post a Comment