Tuesday, January 15, 2013

use it or lose it

Last nights Crossfit WOD was:
A. 400m run. (front squat, box jumps) 3, 6, 9, 12. 400m farmer carry w/ 15lbs.
B. 400m run. 25 burpees, 15 wall balls.

The second set had me dripping sweat, it was hard.  I actually was glad to see the 400m run and be able to catch my breath. I'm starting to like the box jumps, the farmer carry on the other hand was hard simply because my hands could really grip the weight.

 Somewhere along the way I did something to a muscle around my hip/ butt. I came home and it felt uncomfortable. I stretched and iced hoping it would be gone in the morning. 

This is a good graphic. The area labeled 'Iliotibial band' points out the are pretty good. I have heard of problems with the IT band but only ever related to knee problems and the pain is close to the knee. Is that the case? 



This is a better picture but it's still hard to pin-point the uncomfortable area. I think it's in the white space between the butt and the front of the hip. Maybe the tensor fascia latae?? 


Picture of Iliotibial (IT) Band Syndrome
Picture of Iliotibial (IT) Band Syndrome


This morning it felt the same. I took off for speed work. 

I did the regular speed work workout 6X800. I realized it was almost 3 weeks since I last did it and it showed. My fastest time 3 weeks ago was about 3:30. Today it was 3:38 and it was  hard. 

I guess the whole use it or lose it thing applies. 

I made a mental note that from now on Tuesday= speed session, whether I like it or not. 

--------------------------------------

Is there anything  you do, whether you like it or not?

Ever had a problem with your IT band?

I'm in a little bit of a slump- any ideas on how to get out of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment