Tuesday, February 12, 2013

NUUN

I never really gave hydration a lot of thought until I started to train to run a sub4 marathon. I read a lot about staying hydrated during the race and experimented with different energy drinks. 

My biggest problem or concern was drinking too much.  When I'm tired, hot and thirsty I had a tendency to gulp down water and then I would feel too full to keep running strong. 

Also, I sweat a lot, which means I'm losing a lot of sodium so I needed a energy drink that would replenish all the sodium and electrolytes I was losing. 

Tips on staying hydrated: (all day not just while exercising)

  • Drink fluids throughout the day and before/during/post workouts. Maintaining a good hydration status on a daily basis by staying a step ahead of dehydration is the best approach.
  • Waiting until you are thirsty to drink fluids is too late – you are already dehydrated and you’ll find yourself constantly playing the game of catch-up!
  • Each day try to consume half your body weight (in pounds) in liquid ounces PLUS what you sweat out in training (your sweat rate). For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you should aim to consume 75 ounces of water or electrolyte drink per day plus losses that occur during workouts.

    I tried NUUN after reading about it on Once Upon A Lime  and spotting it at my local running store. Each tube sells for about $5. I really like the fruity flavors and at the citrus flavors are really refreshing, great for summer. 



  • Packed with electrolytes, light flavor, no sugars or carbs, and portable, Nuun Active Hydration is the perfect sports drink.
  • The electrolytes found in Nuun will help alleviate cramps, help muscles function, communicate and burn energy efficiently.
  • NUUN ACTIVE HYDRATION comes in 11 flavors: Banana, Orange, Lemon Lime, Strawberry Lemonade, Fruit Punch, Kona Cola, Lemon Tea, Tri-Berry, Grape, Tropical, and Citrus Fruit.

    First of all, it is really good. It's light and refreshing and makes drinking water feel luxurious. The tubes come with 12 tabs that dissolve in 16 oz of water. The tablet dissolves fast and without a gritty or chalky taste. I tried other drink tabs (GU and Gatorade) and I definitely noticed that lack of chalky taste in NUUN compared to the others. 

    NUUN ACTIVE HYDRATION CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING PER TABLET (16 OUNCE DRINK):

    Active Ingredients
    Sodium (carbonates)
    Potassium (bicarbonate)
    Magnesium (sulfate)
    Calcium (carbonate)
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin B2
    Level
    360.0 mg
    100.0 mg
    25.0 mg
    12.5 mg
    19.0 mg
    500 mcg
    I have been trying them for a few months now. The day before a big race, I try to stay hydrated and drink a few water bottles throughout the day. I can honestly say I feel hydrated during the race. Before Surf City, I had 8 oz before the race and never really felt thirsty. I had a few sips of water/ gatorade during the race and I felt great. 

    Like I said, I sweat a lot so I'm always looking to replenish sodium and this product has a ton (on average 300mg), which helps me prevent muscle cramping during long runs. 

    plus a bunch of needed electrolytes. 

    --------------------------
    Because I love them so much, I'd like to do a little giveaway. Leave me a comment about your hydration ritual, favorite drink or anything else and you could win free NUUN. Giveaway ends Friday 2/15/13. 
    --------------------------
    The opinions are all my own and not affiliated with NUUN. 




No comments:

Post a Comment