Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Great Race of Agoura Hills- Chesebro Half Marathon

The Great Race of Agoura consist of 6 races (kids race, family 1 miles, 5k, 10k, Pacific Half, Chesebro Trail Half). All races end at Chumash Park where a huge after party is held. For more information about the other races check out their website

This year, I ran the Chesebro Half Marathon which is mostly a trail run. The race was named "best half marathon in the nation". Early registration starts at $70 for the half marathon and can run up to $100 if you register the day before.


Expo: I picked up my race bib and an awesome drawstring bag the day before the race on Friday. The pick up was pretty easy. The expo was held at a community center in Agoura Hills and I was in and out in 5 minutes. 

Race: I set a wake up alarm for 4:30am which gave me plenty of time for the 1hr drive. Getting off the Freeway, I noticed signs for parking and found a spot in a shopping area 2 mints away from the start.  Plenty of port-a potties leading up to the start.  ( The start times for the different races were staggered and at different locations) 



The start was in a residential area and we ran through a neighborhood for about a mile. 


After mile 3, we were headed up the mountain. The first few miles on the trail were serene, a lot of nature and great views. The second part was a complete uphill. At one point I felt like I was running on my toes trying to keep a nice pace. I didn't snap a lot of pictures because the trail was hard and I was huffing and puffing as I climbed all those rocks. 


The last few miles, I felt like I was sprinting down the road in comparison to the uphill climb. I finished at 1:55. Not my best time but considering the rock climbing, I was very proud of myself. 


The after party: The expo is giant. Tons of vendors, free samples and food. I also saw a bounce house for all the kids and different organizations providing information and free goodies. 


I scored some pink berry and fruit smoothies. I saw booths for bread, pancakes, bagels, different sports drinks and water.  


Overall: I think this is a great race. It is well organized and runs very smoothly. Also, the after party can't be beat. It's a lot of fun for the whole family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment